Friday, September 3, 2010

The training continues - but the goal is uncertain

I headed out for a swim last night. The evenings are getting a lot darker and it was quite eerie swimming in an almost empty outdoor pool during sunset. Finding billateral breathing tough, but still wanting the balance of breathing each side, I swam my usual rythmn, but alternated sides with lengths. I felt a bit worn out to be honest.

I aimed for 30 lengths of the 50m pool. The whole workout took about 45 minutes. Half way through the 29th length I had my first real swimming cramp experience. Not the twinges you get in your foot, full blown muscle contraction right up both calves which caused me to double over - not an easy swim position! I was approximately 1 inch out of my depth and managed to hop to safety with a lifeguard calling out 'are you okay?'. I answered 'yes' and them some expletives under my breath, pulled myself out and pummelled my calves on the side for a few minutes.

When I explained all this to Austen he asked if I had a thing for lifeguards. Only female ones it seems.

I spent a bit of time thinking about this. I don't think this is an electrolyte issue. I think I might be overtraining. My doctor mentioned this last week when I went to him with unexplained nausea (ongoing). He suggested training with a heartrate monitor to keep me within sensible limits. One of the results of overtraining appears to be a build up of lactic acid in muscles - which sounds like it might cause a bit of cramp.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I didn't get around to discussing the title of my blog post. Its Friday - I'm tired.

    Anyway, Monday looms and the Vancouver Triathlon will be happening without me. I keep swaying between decisions but know the best thing is to wait. Next goal I think is going to be joining a local Triathlon Club, and then entering a run.

    ReplyDelete